Home » Health & Wellness » Day One

Day One

Before Panniculectomy

Before Panniculectomy

I arrived at the hospital at 8 this morning. Jake brought me and has been with me all day.  I love this man.  Anyway, I first stopped at the lab for a routine pregnancy test, even though my tubes are tied, then we went to surgery waiting.  We waited for about an hour before they called me back for prep.  They had me sign papers, went over some more health history with me, and got IVs started.  Yes, plural IVs.  I had to have one in each hand, one for medications, fluids and anesthesia, and one for blood should I have needed a transfusion. Also, Dr. Kuiper came in to draw on me and make sure I was all marked and ready to go.

At that point they let Jake come in and keep me company while I waited for my turn in the OR.  A little after 10 they took me to the OR.  They got me up onto the operating table, had me lay on my back.  They were tying my arms down to the stands to each side of me and then told me I’d feel a little sleepy.  And that was the last thing I remember.

I woke up in the recovery room and shortly thereafter got moved to ICU to watch for bleeding during “fluid stabilization.”  Meaning my body is going to be trying to figure out what else it can pull fluids from when needed besides the 9 pound chunk of fat and skin that was removed.  For some reason the staff couldn’t find Jake though he had been in the same place since the surgeon updated him.  So he came in about 45 minutes after I got into my room, once they managed to find him.  Pain has been pretty well managed because they used a TAP block, which is a nerve block to the abdomen area that lasts about 72 hours.  I also have a pain pump that I control.

24 hours after surgery

However tonight has been rough.  I can’t seem to sleep more than about 30 minutes or so at a time, and I only got about 2-3 hours of sleep last night.  I’m exhausted.  But I cannot sleep on my back, and if i try to roll over onto my side, i can feel the staples on my hip and it pinches.  Plus my upper back is very painful from surgery 2 weeks ago still.  It feels like deep muscle aches.  So that’s not helping.

Tomorrow I will be moved into a regular hospital room and be allowed and encouraged to walk.  I’ve been told I will fatigue easily.  Then hopefully home on Saturday if all continues to go well.  And of course my love will be taking care of me at home too.  I don’t know what I’d do without him!

One thought on “Day One

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s